Greater Kansas City Laborers Training Center
8944 Kaw Drive
Kansas City, KS 66111
Construction Industry Laborers Training Center
21201 S. Mullen Rd.
Belton, MO 64012
|Local 1290 Scholarship Program
Construction & General Laborers’ Local 1290
Rules for Eligibility and Procedures for Application and Selection
- The Local shall award scholarships in the amount of $1500.00 per semester for 1 semester to 2 students.Under no circumstances may a student receive more than 1 semester of scholarship money per drawing.Prior eligible winners may re-enter future drawings.
- In order to be eligible for a scholarship, an applicant must be the son, daughter, or legally adopted child or dependent of a Local 1290 member in good standing.A member or spouse of a member in good standing may also apply.Proof of said relationship must be provided at the time application is made for the scholarship.
- Each applicant must type or legibly print a completed Scholarship Application provided for on the form attached to these Rules and Regulations by the date set and announced by Local 1290’s Executive Board.
- In order to be eligible for the scholarship all applicants must have a high school GPA of 2.5 or higher.Any applicant currently attending college must have the same GPA of 2.5 or higher in the preceding semester.The student applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her current transcript verifying his or her GPA along with the application.
- Scholarship recipients shall be selected from all eligible applicants through a random drawing (date to be announced) at the Union meeting.Selection of the scholarship winners is final and binding on the applicants.
- Scholarship money must be used to pay tuition and books at a 4-year or 2-year accredited college or university.Payment will be made from the Scholarship Fund directly to the Financial Aid Office of the college the student is attending.
- In order to keep receiving the scholarship during the life of the Scholarship Award, the student must maintain a 2.5 GPA each semester.The student must provide a certified copy of his or her transcript verifying his or her GPA prior to his or her request for payment of scholarship funds for the following semester.If the student fails to maintain the 2.5 GPA during any semester or fails to provide the transcript in a timely fashion, he or she forfeits the remainder of the scholarship.
- A scholarship recipient who has forfeited his scholarship in accordance with paragraph 7 may, upon obtaining a 2.5 overall GPA in the college or university where he or she is attending, reapply and shall be reentered into the random drawing for scholarship funds.
- Each scholarship recipient is responsible for providing relevant updated information, as determined by the Executive Board, at the end of each semester of school.
- A Scholarship Committee composed of Local 1290’s Executive Board shall administer the Scholarship Program and is empowered to interpret and amend these Rules, as they deem appropriate.
Download Application here.
Page Last Updated: Oct 10, 2018 (09:31:00)